1. beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
- the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves
2. unique or specific to a person or thing or category
- a peculiar bond of sympathy between them
- an expression peculiar to Canadians
- rights peculiar to the rich
3. markedly different from the usual
- a peculiar hobby of stuffing and mounting bats
- a man...feels it a peculiar insult to be taunted with cowardice by a woman
Similar word(s): unusual
4. characteristic of one only; distinctive or special
- the peculiar character of the Government of the U.S.
Similar word(s): characteristic
Sentences with peculiar as an adjective:
- The sky had a peculiar appearance before the storm.
- It would be rather peculiar to see a kangaroo hopping down a city street.
- Kangaroos are peculiar to Australia.
1. That which is peculiar; a sole or exclusive property; a prerogative; a characteristic.
2. (Britain, canon law) A particular parish or church which is exempt from the jurisdiction of the ordinary.