1. (used as a combining form) relating to--of or by or to or from or for--the self
Sentences with self as an adjective:
- a self bow: one made from a single piece of wood
- a self flower or plant: one which is wholly of one colour
1. your consciousness of your own identity
Similar word(s): ego
2. a person considered as a unique individual
- one's own self
1. (obsolete) Himself, herself, itself, themselves; that specific (person mentioned).
- This argument was put forward by the defendant self.
2. (commercial or humorous) Myself.
- I made out a cheque, payable to self, which cheered me up somewhat.
1. (botany) To fertilise by the same individual; to self-fertilise or self-pollinate.
2. (botany) To fertilise by the same strain; to inbreed.