1. an inquiry into unfamiliar or questionable activities
- there was a congressional probe into the scandal
Similar word(s): investigation
2. a flexible slender surgical instrument with a blunt end that is used to explore wounds or body cavities
Definition categories: man–made
3. an exploratory action or expedition
4. an investigation conducted using a flexible surgical instrument to explore an injury or a body cavity
Sentences with probe as a noun:
- They launched a probe into the cause of the accident.
- Insert the probe into the soil and read the temperature.
1. question or examine thoroughly and closely
Similar word(s): examine
2. examine physically with or as if with a probe
- probe an anthill
Sentences with probe as a verb:
- If you probe further, you may discover different reasons.