1. Used to fill in the gap of a pause with a vocalized sound.
1. the edge of a piece of cloth; especially the finished edge that has been doubled under and stitched down
- the hem of her dress was stained
- let down the hem
- he stitched weights into the curtain's hem
Definition categories: man–made, edge
2. the utterance of a sound similar to clearing the throat; intended to get attention, express hesitancy, fill a pause, hide embarrassment, warn a friend, etc.
Similar word(s): ahem
1. Obsolete form of 'em.