1. all the people living at the same time or of approximately the same age
2. group of genetically related organisms constituting a single step in the line of descent
Definition categories: group
3. the normal time between successive generations
- they had to wait a generation for that prejudice to fade
4. a stage of technological development or innovation
- the third generation of computers
5. a coming into being
Similar word(s): genesis
6. the production of heat or electricity
- dams were built for the generation of electricity
7. the act of producing offspring or multiplying by such production
Sentences with generation as a noun:
- This is the book of the generations of Adam - Genesis 5:1Ye shall remain there [in Babylon] many years, and for a long season, namely, seven generations - Baruch 6:3All generations and ages of the Christian church - Richard Hooker
- Generation X grew up in the eighties, whereas the generation known as the millennials grew up in the nineties.
- People sometimes dispute which generation of Star Trek is best, including the original and The Next Generation.