1. travel up
- We ascended the mountain
- The mountaineers slowly ascended the steep slope
2. go back in order of genealogical succession
- Inheritance may not ascend linearly
Definition categories: stative
3. become king or queen
- She ascended to the throne after the King's death
4. appear to be moving upward, as by means of tendrils
Definition categories: motion
5. go along towards (a river's) source
- The boat ascended the Delaware
6. slope upwards
- The path ascended to the top of the hill
7. come up, of celestial bodies
- Jupiter ascends
8. move to a better position in life or to a better job
- She ascended from a life of poverty to one of great renown
Similar word(s): rise
Sentences with ascend as a verb:
- He ascended to heaven upon a cloud.
- The road ascends the mountain.
- You ascend the stairs and take a right.
- She ascended the throne when her mother abdicated.
- Our inquiries ascend to the remotest antiquity.