1. below the required standards for a purpose
- an unfit parent
- unfit for human consumption
2. not in good physical or mental condition; out of condition
- fat and very unfit
- certified as unfit for army service
- drunk and unfit for service
Similar word(s): afflicted, impaired, apractic, apraxic, bandy, bowed, bowleg, bowlegged, crippled, game, gimpy, halt, halting, lame, crookback, crookbacked, gibbous, humpbacked, humped, hunchbacked, kyphotic, disabled, handicapped, gammy, flabby, flaccid, soft, spavined, dipped, lordotic, swayback, swaybacked, maimed, mutilated, unhealthy, unsound, ill, sick
3. physically unsound or diseased
Sentences with unfit as an adjective:
- Jack cannot run, making him unfit for the track team.
- I've become so unfit after stopping cycling to town.