1. an adjustment made for the weight of the packaging in order to determine the net weight of the goods
2. any of several weedy vetches grown for forage
3. weedy annual grass often occurs in grainfields and other cultivated land; seeds sometimes considered poisonous
4. the weight of a motor vehicle, railroad car, or aircraft without its fuel or cargo
5. (chemical analysis) a counterweight used in chemical analysis; consists of an empty container that counterbalances the weight of the container holding chemicals
1. (chiefly business and law) To take into account the weight of the container, wrapping etc. in weighting merchandise.
2. (sciences) To set a zero value on an instrument (usually a balance) that discounts the starting point.
3. (obsolete) simple past tense of tear