1. the food allowance for one day (especially for service personnel)
- the rations should be nutritionally balanced
2. a fixed portion that is allotted (especially in times of scarcity)
1. restrict the consumption of a relatively scarce commodity, as during war
- Bread was rationed during the siege of the city
2. distribute in rations, as in the army
- Cigarettes are rationed
Sentences with ration as a verb:
- We rationed ourselves to three sips of water a day until we were rescued.
- By the third day on the raft, we had to ration our water.
- Our present health care system is rationed only to those who can afford it because of unnecessary high cost, lack of insurance coverage by 47 million people, and exorbitant prescription prices.