1. the force of policemen and officers
Similar word(s): constabulary, law
Definition categories: group, force, personnel
Sentences with police as a noun:
- Call the police!
- The police operating in New York City operate under the New York City Police Department, several other City agencies and boards, and several public authorities.
1. maintain the security of by carrying out a patrol
Similar word(s): patrol
Definition categories: social, guard
Sentences with police as a verb:
- Extra security was hired to police the crowd at the big game.
- to police a person's identity