1. something immaterial that stands in the way and must be circumvented or surmounted
- lack of imagination is an obstacle to one's advancement
- the poverty of a district is an obstacle to good education
- the filibuster was a major obstruction to the success of their plan
Similar word(s): obstruction
2. an obstruction that stands in the way (and must be removed or surmounted or circumvented)
Sentences with obstacle as a noun:
- A big obstacle to understanding the manual was that it had been poorly translated from the Japanese.