1. the property resulting from being or relating to the greater in number of two parts; the main part
- the majority of his customers prefer it
Similar word(s): bulk
2. (elections) more than half of the votes
Definition categories: quantity
3. the age at which persons are considered competent to manage their own affairs
Sentences with majority as a noun:
- The majority agreed that the new proposal was the best.
- Those opposing the building plans were in the majority, so the building project was canceled.
- The winner with 53% had a 6% majority over the loser with 47%.
- By the time I reached my majority, I had already been around the world twice.
- On receiving the news of his promotion, Charles Snodgrass said he was delighted to be entering his majority.