1. the rhythmic contraction and expansion of the arteries with each beat of the heart
- he could feel the beat of her heart
Definition categories: event
2. a very short time (as the time it takes the eye to blink or the heart to beat)
3. an animating or vital unifying force
- New York is the commercial heartbeat of America
Sentences with heartbeat as a noun:
- The policeman waited for a heartbeat in vain
- He alone gives me such heartbeats
- If your heartbeat doesn't normalize soon, consult a doctor!
- Music is the heartbeat of the people.
- The ambulance arrived in a heartbeat.