1. (obsolete) Healthy, whole, safe.
1. An exclamation of respectful or reverent salutation, or, occasionally, of familiar greeting.
1. precipitation of ice pellets when there are strong rising air currents
2. many objects thrown forcefully through the air
- a hail of pebbles
- a hail of bullets
Definition categories: object
3. enthusiastic greeting
1. praise vociferously
- The critics hailed the young pianist as a new Rubinstein
2. be a native of
- She hails from Kalamazoo
Similar word(s): come
3. call for
- hail a cab
4. greet enthusiastically or joyfully
Similar word(s): herald
5. precipitate as small ice particles
- It hailed for an hour
Sentences with hail as a verb:
- They say it's going to hail tomorrow.
- The cloud would hail down furiously within a few minutes.
- He was hailed as a hero.
- Hail a taxi.