1. the legal dissolution of a marriage
Similar word(s): divorcement
Sentences with divorce as a noun:
- Richard obtained a divorce from his wife some years ago, but hasn't returned to the dating scene.
- The Civil War split between Virginia and West Virginia was a divorce based along cultural and economic as well as geographic lines.
1. part; cease or break association with
2. get a divorce; formally terminate a marriage
- The couple divorced after only 6 months
Sentences with divorce as a verb:
- A ship captain can marry couples, but cannot divorce them.
- Lucy divorced Steve when she discovered that he had been unfaithful.
- The radical group voted to divorce itself from the main faction and start an independent movement.
- Edna and Simon divorced last year; he got the house, and she retained the business.