1. (law) a formal objection to an opponent's pleadings
Sentences with demur as a noun:
- All my demurs but double his attacks; At last he whispers, ``Do; and we go snacks. - Alexander Pope
1. take exception to
- he demurred at my suggestion to work on Saturday
Similar word(s): except
2. enter a demurrer
Sentences with demur as a verb:
- I demur to that statement.
- The personnel demurred at the management's new scheme.
- The latter I demur, for in their looks / Much reason, and in their actions, oft appears. - John Milton