1. a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field of art or philosophy
- the neoclassical canon
- canons of polite society
2. a priest who is a member of a cathedral chapter
3. a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall
Similar word(s): canyon
4. a contrapuntal piece of music in which a melody in one part is imitated exactly in other parts
5. a complete list of saints that have been recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
6. a collection of books accepted as holy scripture especially the books of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired
Sentences with canon as a noun:
- The trial must proceed according to the canons of law.
- the entire Shakespeare canon
- We must proceed according to canon law.
- Pachelbel’s Canon has become very popular.
- A spin-off book series revealed the aliens to be originally from Earth, but it's not canon.
- a canon of beef or lamb