1. distinctive manner of oral expression
- he couldn't suppress his contemptuous accent
2. special importance or significance
- the room was decorated in shades of grey with distinctive red accents
Similar word(s): emphasis
3. the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people
- he has a strong German accent
Definition categories: communication
4. the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
5. a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
Sentences with accent as a noun:
- In the word "careful", the accent is placed on the first syllable.
- At this hotel, the accent is on luxury.
- The name Cézanne is written with an acute accent.
- a foreign accent; an American, British or Australian accent
1. to stress, single out as important
2. put stress on; utter with an accent
- In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word