1. an act of aggression (as one against a person who resists)
- he may accomplish by craft in the long run what he cannot do by force and violence in the short one
Similar word(s): force
2. the property of being wild or turbulent
- the storm's violence
3. a turbulent state resulting in injuries and destruction etc.
Sentences with violence as a noun:
- The violence of the storm, fortunately, was more awesome than destructive.
- We try to avoid violence in resolving conflicts.
- Violence between the government and the rebels continues.
- The translation does violence to the original novel.