1. the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
- a long and happy marriage
Definition categories: state
2. two people who are married to each other
- his second marriage was happier than the first
- a married couple without love
3. the act of marrying; the nuptial ceremony
- their marriage was conducted in the chapel
Similar word(s): wedding
4. a close and intimate union
- the marriage of music and dance
- a marriage of ideas
Sentences with marriage as a noun:
- You should enter marriage for love.
- My grandparents' marriage lasted for forty years.
- Pat and Leslie's marriage to each other lasted forty years.
- You are cordially invited to the marriage of James Smith and Jane Doe.