1. a male sovereign; ruler of a kingdom
Similar word(s): rex
2. a competitor who holds a preeminent position
Similar word(s): queen
3. a very wealthy or powerful businessman
4. preeminence in a particular category or group or field
- the lion is the king of beasts
5. a checker that has been moved to the opponent's first row where it is promoted to a piece that is free to move either forward or backward
6. one of the four playing cards in a deck bearing the picture of a king
Definition categories: man–made
7. (chess) the weakest but the most important piece
Definition categories: man–made, chessman
Sentences with king as a noun:
- Henry VIII was the king of England from 1509 to 1547.
- Howard Stern styled himself as the "king of all media".
- In times of financial panic, cash is king.
- Oi mate, have you got kings?
1. To crown king, to make (a person) king.
2. To rule over as king.
3. To perform the duties of a king.
4. To assume or pretend preeminence (over); to lord it over.
5. To promote a piece of draughts/checkers that has traversed the board to the opposite side, that piece subsequently being permitted to move backwards as well as forwards.
6. To dress and perform as a drag king.