1. relating to or common to or descriptive of all members of a genus
- the generic name
2. (of drugs) not protected by trademark
- `Acetaminophen' is the generic form of the proprietary drug `Tylenol'
Similar word(s): nonproprietary
3. applicable to an entire class or group
- is there a generic Asian mind?
Similar word(s): general
Sentences with generic as an adjective:
- Words like salesperson and firefighter are generic.
1. wine that does not meet the minimum qualifications and standards for use of a designation by appellation of origin (where the grapes are grown) or by varietal content; may only be labeled by proprietary (made-up) name, by general color (such as `vin rouge', `vino rosso', `rotwein', `red wine', etc.), or by general class (as `vin ordinaire', `vin de table', `vino da tavola', `tafelwein', `table wine', etc.)
2. any product that can be sold without a brand name