1. a statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc.
- the explanation was very simple
Similar word(s): account
2. thought that makes something comprehensible
3. the act of explaining; making something plain or intelligible
- I heard his explanation of the accident
Definition categories: communication
Sentences with explanation as a noun:
- The explanation was long and drawn-out.
- An explanation for each UFO sighting was easily found.
- Hoover supporters' "explanations" and former status rarely save him from modern ridicule as a useless expense.