1. a vote to select the winner of a position or political office
- the results of the election will be announced tonight
2. the act of selecting someone or something; the exercise of deliberate choice
- her election of medicine as a profession
3. the status or fact of being elected
- they celebrated his election
4. the predestination of some individuals as objects of divine mercy (especially as conceived by Calvinists)
Sentences with election as a noun:
- The parliamentary elections will be held in March.
- The election of John Smith was due to his broad appeal.