1. the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception
- its adoption by society
2. a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit)
3. the appropriation (of ideas or words etc) from another source
Similar word(s): borrowing
Sentences with adoption as a noun:
- A Chinese baby girl was given away for adoption.
- Our school is considering the adoption of Wiktionary as the standard dictionary.