1. sensing an odor by inhaling through the nose
Similar word(s): snuff
Sentences with sniff as a noun:
- She gave the flowers a quick sniff to check they were real.
1. perceive by inhaling through the nose
- sniff the perfume
Similar word(s): whiff
2. inhale audibly through the nose
- the sick student was sniffling in the back row
Similar word(s): sniffle
Sentences with sniff as a verb:
- The dog sniffed around the park, searching for a nice scent.
- I sniffed the meat to see if it hadn't gone off.
- "He's never coming back, is he?" she sniffed while looking at a picture of him.
- I can sniff trouble coming from the basement.
- This opportunity is not to be sniffed at.