1. a small part of something intended as representative of the whole
2. items selected at random from a population and used to test hypotheses about the population
Similar word(s): sampling
3. all or part of a natural object that is collected and preserved as an example of its class
Definition categories: object
Sentences with sample as a noun:
- "I design this but for a sample of what I hope more fully to discuss." -Woodward.
- "...it is possible it [the Anglo-Saxon race] might stand second to the Scandinavian countries [in average height] if a fair sample of their population were obtained." Francis Galton et al. (1883). Final Report of the Anthropometric Committee, Report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, p. 269.