1. concerned with religion or religious purposes
- sacred texts
- sacred rites
- sacred music
Similar word(s): consecrate, consecrated, dedicated, heavenly, pious, divine, ineffable, unnameable, unspeakable, unutterable, inspirational, inviolable, inviolate, sacrosanct, numinous, religious, spiritual, reverend, sublime, sacral, taboo, tabu
2. worthy of respect or dedication
- saw motherhood as woman's sacred calling
Similar word(s): worthy
3. made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
- the sacred mosque
- sacred elephants
- sacred bread and wine
4. worthy of religious veneration
- the sacred name of Jesus
5. (often followed by `to') devoted exclusively to a single use or purpose or person
- a fund sacred to charity
- a morning hour sacred to study
- a private office sacred to the President
Similar word(s): dedicated
Sentences with sacred as an adjective:
- Smit with the love of sacred song. -John Milton.
- Such neighbor nearness to our sacred [royal] blood Should nothing privilege him. William ShakespearePoet and saint to thee alone were given, The two most sacred names of earth and heaven. -Cowley.
- Secrets of marriage still are sacred held. -Dryden.
- A temple, sacred to the queen of love. -Dryden.
- But, to destruction sacred and devote. -Milton.
1. simple past tense and past participle of sacre