1. (of materials or goods) brought to the desired final state
- a finished product
2. ended or brought to an end
- are you finished?
- gave me the finished manuscript
3. (of skills or the products of skills) brought to or having the greatest excellence; perfected
- a dazzling and finished piece of writing
- a finished violinist
Similar word(s): polished
4. having a surface coating or finish applied
- the finished bookcase costs much more than the unfinished ones
Similar word(s): painted
5. brought to ruin
- after the revolution the aristocracy was finished
Sentences with finished as an adjective:
- He gave a very finished, but uninspired performance.
- I won't be finished until just before lunch.
- The program was finally finished after three hours.
- He wasn't finished cleaning up until nearly noon.
- He wasn't quite finished with his assignment.
1. simple past tense and past participle of finish
- He finished the cabinet with two more layers of polyurethane.