1. of or belonging to or active during the day
- diurnal animals are active during the day
- diurnal flowers are open during the day and closed at night
- diurnal and nocturnal offices
2. having a daily cycle or occurring every day
- diurnal rotation of the heavens
Sentences with diurnal as an adjective:
- Most birds are diurnal.
1. A flower that opens only in the day.
2. (Catholicism) A book containing canonical offices performed during the day, hence not matins.
3. (archaic) A diary or journal.
4. (archaic) A daily news publication.