1. belonging to or having the characteristics of a despot
Similar word(s): despotical
2. ruled by or characteristic of a despot
- moved from a feudal to a despotic order
- his administration was arrogant and despotic
Similar word(s): undemocratic
3. characteristic of an absolute ruler or absolute rule; having absolute sovereignty
- despotic rulers
Sentences with despotic as an adjective:
- This despotic age of the empire ended in a revolt.
- The despotic king dissolved the parliament, and took personal control of the country.