1. a place where things merge or flow together (especially rivers)
- Pittsburgh is located at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers
Similar word(s): meeting
Definition categories: location
2. a flowing together
3. a coming together of people
Similar word(s): concourse
Sentences with confluence as a noun:
- We encountered an abandoned boat at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.
- The confluence of the rivers produced a great rush of water.
- The confluence of our skills resulted in a successful home renovation project.