1. exceptionally bad or displeasing
- an awful voice
2. causing fear or dread or terror
- the awful war
- an awful risk
3. offensive or even (of persons) malicious
4. inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence
- awful worshippers with bowed heads
5. extreme in degree or extent or amount or impact
6. inspiring awe or admiration or wonder
- this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath
Sentences with awful as an adjective:
- an awful bonnet
- I have learnt an awful amount today.
- My socks smell awful.