1. the state of being absent
- he was surprised by the absence of any explanation
2. failure to be present
3. the time interval during which something or somebody is away
- he visited during my absence
4. the occurrence of an abrupt, transient loss or impairment of consciousness (which is not subsequently remembered), sometimes with light twitching, fluttering eyelids, etc.; common in petit mal epilepsy
Sentences with absence as a noun:
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- He had an absence of enthusiasm.
- absence of mind