1. a locally circumscribed place characterized by some distinctive features
2. any of the regions of the surface of the Earth loosely divided according to latitude or longitude
Definition categories: location
3. an area or region distinguished from adjacent parts by a distinctive feature or characteristic
4. (anatomy) any encircling or beltlike structure
Similar word(s): zona
Sentences with zone as a noun:
- There is a no-smoking zone that extends 25 feet outside of each entrance.
- The white zone is for loading and unloading only.
- a zone of evergreens on a mountain; the zone of animal or vegetable life in the ocean around an island or a continent
- That pitch was low and away, just outside of the zone.
- I just got in the zone late in the game: everything was going in.
1. regulate housing in; of certain areas of towns
Similar word(s): district
2. separate or apportion into sections
Similar word(s): partition
Sentences with zone as a verb:
- Please zone off our staging area, a section for each group.
- This area was zoned for industrial use.
- I must have zoned while he was giving us the directions.
- Everyone just put their goddamn heads together and zoned. (Byron Coley, liner notes for the album "Piece for Jetsun Dolma" by Thurston Moore)