1. a period of time containing 365 (or 366) days
- she is 4 years old
- in the year 1920
Similar word(s): twelvemonth
2. a period of time occupying a regular part of a calendar year that is used for some particular activity
- a school year
3. the period of time that it takes for a planet (as, e.g., Earth or Mars) to make a complete revolution around the sun
- a Martian year takes 687 of our days
4. a body of students who graduate together
- she was in my year at Hoehandle High
Similar word(s): class
Sentences with year as a noun:
- we moved to this town a year ago;
- Mars goes around the sun once in a Martian year, or 1.88 Earth years.
- A normal year has 365 full days, but there are 366 days in a leap year.
- I was born in the year 1950.
- This Chinese year is the year of the Rooster.
- During this school year I have to get up at 6:30 to catch the bus.
- Every second-year student must select an area of specialization.
- The exams in year 12 at high school are the most difficult.
- Geneticists have created baker's yeast that can live to 800 in yeast years.