1. (obsolete) Mad, insane, crazed.
1. the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
Definition categories: substance
2. the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area
3. any wind instrument other than the brass instruments
Similar word(s): woodwind
Definition categories: man–made, wind
4. a golf club with a long shaft used to hit long shots; originally made with a wooden head
- metal woods are now standard
Definition categories: man–made, club
Sentences with wood as a noun:
- This table is made of wood.
- Teak is much used for outdoor benches, but a number of other woods are also suitable, such as ipé, redwood, etc.
- He got lost in the woods beyond Seattle.
- We need more wood for the fire.
- That girl at the strip club gave me wood.
1. (transitive) To cover or plant with trees.
2. (transitive) To supply with wood, or get supplies of wood for.
- to wood a steamboat or a locomotive
3. To take or get a supply of wood.