1. someone who sees an event and reports what happened
2. a close observer; someone who looks at something (such as an exhibition of some kind)
3. testimony by word or deed to your religious faith
4. (law) a person who attests to the genuineness of a document or signature by adding their own signature
5. (law) a person who testifies under oath in a court of law
Sentences with witness as a noun:
- She can bear witness, since she was there at the time.
- As a witness to the event, I can confirm that he really said that.
- The witness for the prosecution did not seem very credible.
1. be a witness to
- She witnessed the accident and had to testify in court
2. perceive or be contemporaneous with
Sentences with witness as a verb:
- This certificate witnesses his presence on that day.
- He witnessed the accident.
- to witness a bond or a deed