1. the act of separating grain from chaff
- the winnowing was done by women
1. separate the chaff from grain by using air currents
- She stood there winnowing grain all day in the field
2. blow on
- The wind was winnowing her hair
- the wind winnowed the grass
3. select desirable parts from a group or list
- winnow the finalists from the long list of applicants
4. blow away or off with a current of air
- winnow chaff
Similar word(s): fan
Sentences with winnow as a verb:
- They winnowed the field to twelve.
- They winnowed the winners from the losers.
- They winnowed the losers from the winners.