1. any shape that is triangular in cross section
Similar word(s): cuneus
2. a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
3. a diacritical mark (an inverted circumflex) placed above certain letters (such as the letter c) to indicate pronunciation
Similar word(s): hacek
4. a heel that is an extension of the sole of the shoe
Definition categories: man–made, heel
5. (golf) an iron with considerable loft and a broad sole
Definition categories: man–made, iron
6. something solid that is usable as an inclined plane (shaped like a V) that can be pushed between two things to separate them
Definition categories: man–made
7. a block of wood used to prevent the sliding or rolling of a heavy object
Similar word(s): chock
Definition categories: man–made, block
Sentences with wedge as a noun:
- Stick a wedge under the door, will you? It keeps blowing shut.
- Can you cut me a wedge of cheese?
- I made a big fat wedge from that job.
1. put, fix, force, or implant
2. squeeze like a wedge into a tight space
Sentences with wedge as a verb:
- I wedged open the window with a screwdriver.
- He had wedged the package between the wall and the back of the sofa.