1. binary compound that occurs at room temperature as a clear colorless odorless tasteless liquid; freezes into ice below 0 degrees centigrade and boils above 100 degrees centigrade; widely used as a solvent
2. the part of the earth's surface covered with water (such as a river or lake or ocean)
- they invaded our territorial waters
- they were sitting by the water's edge
3. once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
4. a facility that provides a source of water
- the town debated the purification of the water supply
- first you have to cut off the water
5. liquid excretory product
- the child had to make water
6. a liquid necessary for the life of most animals and plants
- he asked for a drink of water
Sentences with water as a noun:
- By the action of electricity, the water was resolved into its two parts, oxygen and hydrogen.
- May I have a glass of water?
- Your plants need more water.
- The boat was found in within the territorial waters.
- These seals are a common sight on the coastal waters of Chile.
- We had a great view of the waters of this place.
- Perrier is the most popular water in this restaurant.
- Many people visit Bath to take the waters.
- ammonia water
- Before the child is born, the pregnant woman’s waters break. (UK)Before the child is born, the pregnant woman’s water breaks. (North America)
- He suffers from water on the knee.
- The rough waters of change will bring about the calm after the storm.
- I know he'll succeed. I feel it in my waters.
- a diamond of the first water, i.e. one that is perfectly pure and transparent
1. supply with water, as with channels or ditches or streams
- Water the fields
Similar word(s): irrigate
2. provide with water
- We watered the buffalo
3. secrete or form water, as tears or saliva
- My mouth watered at the prospect of a good dinner
- His eyes watered
4. fill with tears
- His eyes were watering
Sentences with water as a verb:
- I need to go water the cattle.
- The ship put into port to water.
- Nature called, so I stepped into the woods and watered a tree.
- Can you water the whisky, please?
- Chopping onions makes my eyes water.
- The smell of fried onions makes my mouth water.
- to water silk