1. the channel or break produced by erosion of relatively soft soil by water
- it was several days after the storm before they could repair the washout and open the road
2. the erosive process of washing away soil or gravel by water (as from a roadway)
- from the house they watched the washout of their newly seeded lawn by the water
Similar word(s): wash
Definition categories: process
3. someone who is unsuccessful
Sentences with washout as a noun:
- The cistern was fitted with washouts and air-valves.
- a bladder washout
- As an actor, he was a complete washout, so he went back to accounting.