1. time during which some action is awaited
2. the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something)
- the wait was an ordeal for him
Similar word(s): waiting
Sentences with wait as a noun:
- I had a very long wait at the airport security check.
- They laid in wait for the patrol.
1. stay in one place and anticipate or expect something
- I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets
Definition categories: stative
2. wait before acting
3. look forward to the probable occurrence of
- he is waiting to be drafted
Definition categories: cognition
4. serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant
- I'm waiting on tables at Maxim's
Similar word(s): waitress
Sentences with wait as a verb:
- Wait here until your car arrives.
- She used to wait down at the Dew Drop Inn.
- to wait dinner