1. the amount of 3-dimensional space occupied by an object
- the gas expanded to twice its original volume
2. the property of something that is great in magnitude
- the volume of exports
3. physical objects consisting of a number of pages bound together
Similar word(s): book
4. a publication that is one of a set of several similar publications
- the third volume was missing
- he asked for the 1989 volume of the Annual Review
5. a relative amount
- mix one volume of the solution with ten volumes of water
6. the magnitude of sound (usually in a specified direction)
- the kids played their music at full volume
Definition categories: attribute
Sentences with volume as a noun:
- The room is 9x12x8, so its volume is 864 cubic feet.
- Please turn down the volume on the stereo.
- I looked at this week's copy of the magazine. It was volume 23, issue 45.
- The letter "G" was found in volume 4.
- The volume of ticket sales decreased this week.