1. precisely as stated
- the very center of town
Similar word(s): precise
2. being the exact same one; not any other:
- on this very spot
- the very thing he said yesterday
- the very man I want to see
Sentences with very as an adjective:
- The fierce hatred of a very woman. The very blood and bone of our grammar. He tried his very best.
- He proposed marriage in the same restaurant, at the very table where they first met. That's the very tool that I need.
1. used as intensifiers; `real' is sometimes used informally for `really'; `rattling' is informal
- she was very gifted
- he played very well
2. precisely so
- on the very next page
- he expected the very opposite
Sentences with very as an adverb:
- You’re very tall.
- He was the very best runner there.