1. differing from a norm or standard
- a variant spelling
Similar word(s): different
2. exhibiting variation and change
- letters variant in size
Similar word(s): variable
1. an event that departs from expectations
2. (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups
3. a variable quantity that is random
Similar word(s): variate
4. something a little different from others of the same type
- a variant of the same word
- an emery wheel is the modern variation of a grindstone
Sentences with variant as a noun:
- All breeds of dog are variants of the species “Canis lupus familiaris”.
- The word "kerosine" is a variant of “kerosene”.