1. a numerical quantity measured or assigned or computed
- the value assigned was 16 milliseconds
Definition categories: thought
2. the quality (positive or negative) that renders something desirable or valuable
- the Shakespearean Shylock is of dubious value in the modern world
3. the amount (of money or goods or services) that is considered to be a fair equivalent for something else
- he tried to estimate the value of the produce at normal prices
4. relative darkness or lightness of a color
- I establish the colors and principal values by organizing the painting into three values--dark, medium...and light
Definition categories: attribute
5. (music) the relative duration of a musical note
6. an ideal accepted by some individual or group
- he has old-fashioned values
Sentences with value as a noun:
- The value of my children's happiness is second only to that of my wife.
- He does not share his parents' values.
- family values
- The value of a crotchet is twice that of a quaver.
- The exact value of pi cannot be represented in decimal notation.
- The vein carries good values.
- the values on the hanging walls
1. fix or determine the value of; assign a value to
- value the jewelry and art work in the estate
2. hold dear
3. regard highly; think much of
4. evaluate or estimate the nature, quality, ability, extent, or significance of
5. estimate the value of
Similar word(s): rate
Sentences with value as a verb:
- I will have the family jewels valued by a professional.
- Gold was valued highly among the Romans.
- I value these old photographs.