1. characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy
- an understanding friend
Similar word(s): perceptive
1. the cognitive condition of someone who understands
- he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect
2. the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises
- there was an understanding between management and the workers
Similar word(s): agreement
3. an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion
- I knew I could count on his understanding
Similar word(s): sympathy
4. the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination
Sentences with understanding as a noun:
- According to my understanding, the situation is quite perilous. I wonder if you see it this way, too.
- I thought we had an understanding - you do the dishes, and I throw the trash.
- The parties of the negotiation have managed to come to an understanding.
- He showed much understanding when he found out of my troublesome familial history.
1. present participle of understand