1. covering or applying simultaneously to a number of similar items or elements or groups
- an umbrella organization
- umbrella insurance coverage
Similar word(s): comprehensive
1. a lightweight handheld collapsible canopy
Definition categories: man–made, canopy
2. a formation of military planes maintained over ground operations or targets
- an air umbrella over England
3. having the function of uniting a group of similar things
- the Democratic Party is an umbrella for many liberal groups
- under the umbrella of capitalism
Sentences with umbrella as a noun:
- Quick, grab that umbrella before you get rained on!
- The fighters provide a defensive air umbrella over the battle group.
- The test facility was established under the umbrella of the company's quality program.
- Jellyfish are composed of more than 90% water and most of their umbrella mass is made up of gelatinous material.
1. To cover or protect, as if by an umbrella.
2. To form the dome shape of an open umbrella.
3. To move like a sea jelly.