1. surface layer of ground containing a mat of grass and grass roots
Similar word(s): greensward, sod, sward
Definition categories: object, ground, land, soil
2. the territory claimed by a juvenile gang as its own
Definition categories: location
3. range of jurisdiction or influence
- a bureaucracy...chiefly concerned with turf...and protecting the retirement system
Definition categories: location, jurisdiction
1. cover (the ground) with a surface layer of grass or grass roots
Definition categories: contact, cover
Sentences with turf as a verb:
- Eight managers were turfed after the merger of the two companies.
- The company turfed the concept car because the prototype performed poorly.